My favorite part of this recipe is that it includes an ingredient called “Slap Your Mama.” This was so delicious that it was entirely gone and there were no leftovers to be shared in the office this week!
Major Handy’s Gumbo
3 bell peppers chopped
2 large onions chopped
1 bulb of garlic chopped
10 lbs Andouille Sausage sliced ½ inch thick rounds
10 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast sliced ½ thick strips
3 lbs peeled shrimp
Smoked turkey necks
Slap your Mama™ seasoning mixture
1 bunch parsley chopped
- Sauté chicken in large skillet season with Slap your Mama seasoning mixture to taste
- Saute until golden and cooked through
- Remove chicken and add peppers, onions and garlic, sauté until softened, season with more Slap Your Mama™ to taste
- Combine all ingredients in large stew pot, add water to cover all ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Just before serving add parsley and shrimp, cook for 5 more minutes and serve.
- Serve in a bowl topped with a large spoonful of basmati rice (and with a side of Zydeco music.)